At Changing the Story, we are offering a series of grants to further explore the different ways in which ODA countries can build civil societies with, and for, young people in areas of post-conflict.
We have two main funding schemes. Each scheme is designed for projects which are led by a researcher but work in close partnership with other researchers and civil society organisations.
Our Large Grants scheme opens 1 May 2019 and closes 14th June 2019. Scroll down for more information.
In addition to our Large Grant scheme, applications to the Changing the Story Mobility Fund open 1 June 2019. Applications can be made by, or on behalf of, existing CTS grantees currently based in the Global South only. Scroll down for more information.
ECR-led grants of £15,000 – £30,000 (duration 6-12 months)
Large grants of £50,000-£100,000 (duration 12 months)
Mobility Fund up to £1000 available
Changing the Story Large Grants: Applications open 1 May
*We have identified and amended a formatting error on the budget spreadsheet. Please double check your budget totals are calculating correctly as you may be using the previous form. You can download the corrected version below. For more information on how to apply access our Large Grant Application Support webinar *
The GCRF programme Changing the Story: Building inclusive civil societies with, and for, young people in post-conflict countries is delighted to launch its Large Grants funding scheme for researchers at all levels, supporting research that considers how civil society organisations (CSO) can best support children and young people in post-conflict settings.
A key aim of Changing the Story is to deliver the first large-scale comparative study of CSO practice across a range of post-conflict societies, confronting the challenge of building strong institutions for the delivery of social justice for young people.
Adopting quantitative and qualitative, co-production and action-research methodologies, Changing the Story is working in partnership with researchers at Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and Independent Research Organisations (IROs) across the UK and Official Development Assistance (ODA)-recipient countries, using our research findings to develop new methods, case studies and practical toolkits, for engaging children and young people with the many ways that violent national pasts continue to impact on their communities and countries. In the process we seek to generate new theory, as well as making a significant intervention both on the ground and at policy level.
This Large Grants scheme is the third round of projects to be administered by Changing the Story, and follows five proof of concept projects that are situated in Cambodia, Colombia, Kosovo, Rwanda and South Africa and eleven projects across 12 countries funded by our ECR Grants scheme, which closed in December 2018.
CTS Large Grants Awards range from £50,000-£100,000.
Changing the Story is a collaborative project which explores the following research questions:
- What lessons can be learnt from the ways in which CSOs have attempted to deal with the legacy of past violence on the key issues facing young people in these societies today?
- How can these lessons be shaped into practical, and sustainable, development projects on the ground, localising best practice to the situation faced by specific communities?
- How can CSOs most effectively share best practice internationally? What are the higher-level policy implications of our research findings for development agencies and multilateral bodies seeking to roll out more extensive programmes on post-conflict resolution?
The project team applying for the CTS Large grant must be multi-institutional. It must include at least two researchers – one from the UK and one from an ODA-country, one of whom must be the Principal Investigator. It must also include at least one CSO partner working in the ODA recipient country.
Call Opens: 01/05/2019
Closing Date: 14/06/2019
Results expected: July 2019. Earliest start date for research: 15 September 2019.
How to make an application
To make an application:
- Download and read through our comprehensive CTS Large Grants Application Pack
- Complete the online application form (Password: CTSlarge19)
- Complete the online and anonymous equal opportunities monitoring form (Password: CTSlarge19)
- Email the following completed documents to email@example.com
- 1 Page Theory of Change (see more information about Theory of Change here)
- 2 Page CV and 1 Page Publication List for PI, Co-I and any named research assistants
- Financial breakdown of project budget and timeline of activities (download the budget spreadsheet here)
- 1 page justification of resources
- Letters of support from all institutions involved
- Read through our Due Diligence questionnaire (you’ll only need to fill this in if your application is successful)
Find out more on the UKRI Global Challenges Research Fund webpage.
For more information on how to apply watch our Phase 2 Large Grants Webinar.
Changing the Story Mobility Fund: Applications open 1 June
The Changing the Story (CTS) Mobility Fund is open to existing CTS grantees who are currently based in the Global South. It is designed to enhance the mobility and professional development of CTS grantees by providing financial support of up to £1000 per application to support travel, subsistence and conference fee costs.
We particularly encourage applications that seek to engage with other members of the existing CTS global network.
Call Opens: 01/06/2019
Closing date: 31/10/2020. Applications to the fund are on a rolling basis until the fund has been exhausted.
Applicants will receive a response within 3 weeks of their application.
How to make an application?
To make an application:
- Download and read through our Changing the Story Mobility Fund guidelines
- Complete the Changing the Story Mobility Fund application form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on any of the above grants please email the Changing the Story team on email@example.com